Alphabet Inc (NASDAQ:GOOGL)Date Published: 2017-05-03
Written by Ophir Gottlieb
This article is a snippet from the original published to CML Pro members on 4-30-2017.
Earnings season is upon us and today we will focus on Spotlight Top Pick Alphabet Inc (NASDAQ:GOOGL).
ALPHABET INC (NASDAQ:GOOGL)
While we never know what a company will report in these short-time bursts called quarters, if ever there was a company we were confident would beat, it was Alphabet Inc (NASDAQ:GOOGL) this quarter.
On April 25th we wrote: Apple and Google are Heating Up
On March 8th we wrote: Google's Upside Is Absolutely Enormous and Unaccounted For
On November 29th we wrote: Wall Street is Blind to Google's Upside
We stand by all of those dossiers and continue to see upside potential in Alphabet Inc, even given the enormity of its market cap. The stock will certainly drop in a market correction, but for the next several years, we still hold a very strong bullish thesis for the company. Now on to some details about this earnings release:
Alphabet Inc Earnings Details
Google parent Alphabet Inc (GOOGL.O) reported a 22.2 percent rise in quarterly revenue, driven by a surge in advertising on mobiles and its popular YouTube video service. For Wall Street, this quelled any "panicky" feeling about YouTube advertiser attrition.
* Revenue was $24.7 billion, up from $20.2 billion in the year-earlier period and above the FactSet consensus of $19.7 billion.
* EPS was $7.73 per share, up from $6.02 per share, in the year-earlier period. The FactSet consensus was for earnings per share of $7.38.
This was a total earnings blowout. Here is a 3-month stock chart for Alphabet:
But there was more to learn, and it was all good.
The business, categorized as "Other Revenue" posted a 49.4 percent jump in revenue to $3.10 billion. The business now represents about 13 percent of Alphabet's total revenue, compared with 10 percent a year earlier. This is just the beginning of Alphabet's diversification away from advertising.
I would say that the cloud and the Pixel phone were both responsible for this increase. We see Alphabet Inc (NASDAQ:GOOGL) hitting the five largest themes of technology's future: (1) Cloud (2) Smartphones (3) Self-driving cars (4) Online video and (5) Artificial intelligence. We discus those in detail in the prior dossier Google's Upside Is Absolutely Enormous and Unaccounted For.
Here are the words from the CEO and CFO that caught our eye:
* Growth in advertising revenues was again driven by mobile search, with ongoing strength in YouTube and programmatic.
* The results by region highlight the strength of our business around the globe.
* Last quarter we talked about our bigger investment areas, and you can see the strong momentum here, reflecting contributions from each of Play, hardware, and Cloud.
* Hardware continues to have strong growth and remains an important area for us, with our family of products extending geographically.
* Google Cloud continues to drive sizable growth, with Google Cloud Platform remaining one of the fastest-growing businesses across Alphabet.
* [T]he strong performance in our advertising business allows us to take bigger bets within Google to fuel the growth of additional revenue streams, including those from Cloud, hardware, and YouTube subscription offerings.
* I'm really happy with how we are transitioning to an AI-first company. The Google Assistant is one of our first steps towards that future.
* Advances in machine learning are helping us make many Google products better.
* YouTube, where we continue to see extraordinary growth and opportunities. People around the world are watching more content on YouTube than ever before.
* Every day, users watch over a billion hours on YouTube.
* This quarter we announced YouTube TV, which offers live TV from major broadcast and cable networks, a cloud-based DVR without storage limits, and streaming on all of your devices.
* We are finding that people who buy products like Pixel and Google Home are not only incredibly happy with their purchase but also very likely to recommend it to others. Sales continues to be strong .
We maintain our Spotlight Top Pick status on Alphabet Inc.
WHY THIS MATTERS
Alphabet Inc (NASDAQ:GOOGL) continues to be a marvel, but it's finding the technology gems that will turn into the 'next Google,' 'next Apple,' or 'next Amazon,' where we have to get ahead of the curve. This is what CML Pro does. Our research sits side-by-side with Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and the rest on professional terminals as a member of the famed Thomson First Call.
Each company in our 'Top Picks' is has been selected as a future crown jewel of technology. Like the the one company that will power every cloud as cloud computing platforms near half a trillion dollar market withing four years. Or the one company that will power every drone, or even the one company that will be the guts behind the genomics revolution, or the company that will power every self-driving car.
Market correction or not, recession or not, the growth in these areas is a near certainty.
The precious few thematic top picks for 2017, research dossiers, and alerts are available for a limited time at a 80% discount for $29/mo. Join Us: Discover the undiscovered companies that will power technology's future.
Thanks for reading, friends.
The information contained on this site is provided for general informational purposes, as a convenience to the readers. The materials are not a substitute for obtaining professional advice from a qualified person, firm or corporation. Consult the appropriate professional advisor for more complete and current information. Capital Market Laboratories ("The Company") does not engage in rendering any legal or professional services by placing these general informational materials on this website.
The Company specifically disclaims any liability, whether based in contract, tort, strict liability or otherwise, for any direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, or special damages arising out of or in any way connected with access to or use of the site, even if we have been advised of the possibility of such damages, including liability in connection with mistakes or omissions in, or delays in transmission of, information to or from the user, interruptions in telecommunications connections to the site or viruses.
The Company makes no representations or warranties about the accuracy or completeness of the information contained on this website. Any links provided to other server sites are offered as a matter of convenience and in no way are meant to imply that The Company endorses, sponsors, promotes or is affiliated with the owners of or participants in those sites, or endorse any information contained on those sites, unless expressly stated.